January 25, 2012
Slow-Roasted Beef Brisket with Apple Cider-Ginger BBQ Sauce and Caramelized Sweet Onions
Attention comfort food lovers!!! Run out to your freezer and grab your beef brisket, or get in the car and go down to your local butcher. I promise that you don’t want to miss out on this succulent meat dish. It was so easy to make and such a crowd pleaser, that this one is definitely going to become one of my family favorites! Enjoy!
Makes 4 to 6 servings…adapted from The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook
Apple Cider-Ginger BBQ Sauce
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more if needed
1/2 sweet yellow onion, sliced
3 lb beef brisket
* To prepare the BBQ sauce, place the brown sugar, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger in a saucepan. Heat on medium-low for 10 minutes. Pop in the fridge until you are ready to use.
* Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 300 degrees F.
* Spread olive oil evenly in a 12-in cast iron pan or dutch oven. Over medium heat add the onions and cook, stirring frequently until golden. Remove from pan and set aside.
* Turn up the heat and sear the brisket on both sides, about 5 minutes should do the trick. You may need to add a little more olive oil to keep the meat from sticking to the pan.
* Remove from heat and spread the BBQ sauce evenly over the top of the meat. Sprinkle the cooked onions over the brisket and cover.
* Bake until fork tender…about 3 hours ( mine took a little bit longer). To serve, cut crosswise into
1/2-inch slice. This was great with a fresh green salad! Yummy
Right before I threw her in the oven…
The finished product…comfort food at its finest!
Do you have a favorite recipe for Beef Brisket?